You are only seeing posts authors requested be public.

Register and Login to participate in discussions with colleagues.

DocTalk

Federal Government seeks intervenor status in B.C. health care court case
Public

Z. Essak, MD - Vancouver - April 26, 2016.

Below is a link to the Globe and Mail article from April 13, 2016.

Hopefully, the debate around the court case, involving Dr. Brian Day's private Cambie Surgery Centre and the BC Provincial Government with a trial scheduled to begin June 6, will not become polarized with views of exclusivity between public and private health care but instead what we could and should do to make public health care more effective so that escape valves, like private care, are less needed without eradicating access to private care by individuals should they need it.

How far do individuals have to go? If the public system delivers the needed service great. If not, is there private care here at home in Canada or do people have to go to other countries?

Requirements to be Deputy Registrar at College of Physicians and Surgeons (CPSBC) – Is something different?
Public

Z. Essak, MD – Vancouver, BC – 2015 Apr 23

medical regulation shield imageThe College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC is looking to hire a new Deputy Registrar with the deadline for applications of April 30, 2015 fast approaching.

Is there something different about the experience required in this job posting – “a career opportunity in medical regulation”?

The proven experience and qualifications all candidates should have begins with, "minimum 10 years of senior administrative experience in a complex health-related organization (e.g. regulator, health authority, association, etc.)"

Also the requirements, while including "medical degree preferred", are open to others with "master of business/health administration or law degree also accepted".

Is this a sign of changes or a shift underway at the College (CPSBC)?

What is Bill C-51 about?
Public

Have you been wondering what Bill C-51, the Anti-terrorism Act 2015, is about?

Here's a two minute guide.

Do doctors need legislation to assist patients end of life?
Public

Since the Supreme Court of Canada February 6, 2015 decision on physician assisted suicide the question on people's minds is, "Do physicians need legislation to help them with this ruling?"

The BC Civil Liberties Association ( BCCLA) was quick to allay any fears of a void occurring should new legislation not be enacted by Federal or Provincial Governments reminding that if no action is taken, physician-assisted dying will be regulated in the same manner as other health care matters.

BCCLA provides synopsis of the SCC decision on death with dignity
Public

BCCLA team on the steps of the SCCThe BC Civil Liberties Association has posted a brief synopsis of the Supreme Court of Canada decision on death with dignity.

The BCCLA filed the case in 2011 on behalf of Gloria Taylor, who suffered with ALS, Dr William Schoichet, a family doctor and Ms. Carter and Mr. Johnson from Roberts Creek, BC who accompanied Ms. Carter's 89 year old mother, Kathleen (Kay) Carter, to Switzerland to peacefully end her life.

Canadian Medical Association President Elect
Public

CMA PRESIDENT ELECT

15 JANUARY 2015 

Good Morning, I hope you are well. We are all aware of the politics of medicine in Canada and I believe the CMA could be crucial to the future of the profession for several reasons I won't elaborate here.

As you know it is BC's turn to select the next President of the CMA, and DoBC sent a message this morning asking members to vote on line for the candidate of their choice between 16 January - 23 February 2015.

Second Opinion re: BCMA Physician Master Agreement
Public

BC doctors have seen several communications from the BCMA/Doctors of BC asking its membership to vote in favour of the 5-year Physician Master Agreement (PMA) by Dec. 4, 2014.

I would like to share my 'second opinion' of this complex agreement, in the sincere hope that it will help stimulate needed discussion and more thoughtful reflection amongst my fellow colleagues.

Rick Mercer's 2013 Rant - Scientists Muzzled Again
Public

Rick Mercer Rant Scientists Muzzled Again

This is one of my favorite Rick's Rants. In less than 2 minutes he lays it all out. Beginning with the problem for scientists then in the middle he turns it up a notch, "Get over yourselves. It's not like scientists are the only ones being told to shut up. No, it's everyone." Then after some fine examples he ends with a polite, "Thank you for not talking." A great entertaining and thought provoking rant.

BCMA AGM - Unfunded liabilities?
Public

After the presentation of the Financial Reports at Saturday's AGM of the BCMA I asked Finance Committee Chair a couple of questions. As in the past, what interested me was what had been omitted rather than what had been included.

Page 2 of the 'white paper' report contains a listing of revenue and expenses, and under the latter heading was listed Consulting and Professional Fees in the amount of $998,101.00 This was further broken down on one of the projected slides as indicating that about $250K were 'legal' fees; but no further description.

Grassroots BC doctors launch petition for BCMA to stop further punitive legal action against Dr Caroline Wang
Public

Grassroots BC doctors launched a petition for the BCMA to stop further punitive legal actions against Dr. Caroline Wang available online at http://bcdoctors.org and in one week over 180 doctors have signed the petition.

Doctors are being urged to sign the petition, to speak out at the BCMA AGM on May 31, to share the information with their colleagues to stop this injustice.

Some doctors have also added comments to the petition, "Given the context of the Wang story, the chilling effect is absolute".

Syndicate content

Cease fire banner, you don't speak for the people.